The Heads of Churches in Jerusalem condemn the act of desecration and vandalism of the Latrun Monastery outside Jerusalem early this week. And we call upon the Israeli authorities to act immediately in order to bring those responsible for this horrific attack to justice.
We renew our call upon all people of this land to join hands in facing these kinds of provocative and insulting actions, and to find ways to defeat all acts of violence and desecration that bring about enmity and alienation of the people of God in this part of the world.
At the same time, we thank all our Jewish and Muslim brothers who condemned strongly this action and have shown impressive solidarity with Christian churches.
The Heads of Churches of Jerusalem
- Patriarch Theophilos III, Greek Orthodox Patriarch
- Patriarch Fouad Twal, Latin Patriarch
- Patriarch Torkom II Manoogian, (Archbishop Nourhan Manougian, Patriarchal Vicar), Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Patriarch
- Fr. Pierbattista Pizzaballa, ofm, Custos of the Holy Land
- Archbishop Anba Abraham, Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, Jerusalem
- Archbishop Swerios Malki Murad, Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate
- Archbishop Abouna Matthias, Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarchate
- Archbishop Joseph-Jules Zerey, Greek-Melkite-Catholic Patriarchate
- Archbishop Musa El Hajj , Maronite Patriarchal Exarchate
- Bishop Suheil Dawani, Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and the Middle East
- Bishop Munib Younan, Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land
- Bishop Pierre Malki, Syrian Catholic Patriarchal Exarchate
- Bishop Joseph Kelekian, Armenian Catholic Patriarchal Exarchate