We convey well wishes to our believing children on the advent of celebrations marking Christmas and new year. We plead with God that these days will serve as an opportunity to get ready to welcome the Newborn in Bethlehem, and to ask that He bring peace, at the exceptional circumstances we are going through due to Corona pandemic.
On these blessed days, we thank His Majesty King Abdullah II Bin Al Hussein, our esteemed government, the medics, and the security apparatuses for all the outstanding efforts which they exerted to confront this epidemic. We also implore the Lord to protect them, guide their steps, and remove this bleak situation from our beloved Jordan and the entire world.
Out of the Church’s keenness to maintain the safety of its children at this critical stage, and in appreciation of all the relevant exerted efforts, we, the heads of Churches in Jordan, decide the following:
1. Christmas Holy Mass services according to the Gregorian calendar (on Thursday, December 24) and the New Year’s Feast (on Thursday December 31, 2020) will be marked between 5:30pm and 8:30pm in all churches in the Kingdom, while adhering to the necessary precautionary measures provided by the Ministry of Health and the concerned authorities.
2. We ask our faithful elderly and children to follow the liturgical services and prayers at their home through social media, in order to preserve their health and safety.
3. We call on everyone to maintain social distancing by preserving safe distancing during well wishes visits, and to refrain from having gatherings exceeding 20 people inside the same house, according to Defense Order No. 16 of 2020.
4. Refraining from holding pastoral activities and Christmas bazaars associated with the annual celebrations of the glorious Feast held earlier by youth, scouting team, and others.
5. As for the celebrations marking Epiphany, the annual pilgrimage of the faithful to the Baptismal Site of Lord Jesus Christ will be suspended only this year. In lieu of that, clergymen will celebrate Holy Masses including the sanctification of water.
6. As for the consecration of homes with holy water during the blessed days, priests will carry out their pastoral duty after prior coordination with families to protect the health and safety of all.
In conclusion, we beseech Almighty God to overwhelm us with a new year full of blessings and grace, and to free us from this epidemic.
Have blessed feasts!
The Council of the Heads of Churches in Jordan
By: Munir Bayouk