In the historical archives of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem can be found a rich collection of photographs dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They are precious testimonies of the life of the parishes, of the Latin Patriarchate and also of the clergy in the Holy Land, and offer a fresh view of the daily life of the diocese.
In keeping with the dynamics of historical archives, in order to preserve them over the long term, these photographs have been digitized and classified by both the École Biblique de Jérusalem and the Latin Patriarchate’s archives office. Today, many of the photographs of the parishes and their cities in Palestine, Israel, Jordan and Cyprus are permanently available on our website.
Although these photographs, dated for the most part from the beginning of the 20th century to the 1970s, represent only a portion of the archival collection, they nevertheless offer a magnificent panorama of the life of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem since its re-establishment in 1847.